Pages

Saturday 26 March 2016

More running kit

More kit arrived today. Running is probably one of the least expensive sports you can take up – no regular membership fees, and minimal equipment – but there are still a few things you can spend your pennies on. With the London Marathon just four weeks away now I don’t want to be in the situation where I’ve stinted on something that would really help for the sake of a few quid.

This most recent spree includes a pair of running socks (which haven’t arrived yet), a drinks bottle – one of those ones with the hole in the middle in the fashion of a baby’s toy rattle – and an inexpensive digital watch with a stopwatch function.

Hilly Mono Skin Supreme Anklet Running Sock
Amazon, £7
Clearly, you have to look after your feet when you're doing a fair amount of running, especially if, like me, you’re on the heavier side. I tend to opt for socks with a fair amount of cushioning, and they're usually an “anatomical” fit, meaning they’re specific to either right or left foot, with the cushioning in zones not just below the heal but also under the ball of the foot.

These are £7 from Amazon, which is not bad for something I find comfortable for long runs as well as short. I’ve bought cheaper cushioned socks, but you pay for your thrift in blisters and hard skin. They don’t give me blisters and show no signs of shrinking with repeated washing. I’ll stick with this brand until they fiddle with the product specification, which they inevitably will at some point.


Ronhill Wrist Bottle, 500ml
Amazon, £3.50
I usually get away without taking water with me on anything up to 10k, but beyond that, hydration  has a marked effect on how I feel (it probably has an effect on performance up to 10k too if I'm honest, but I'm not exactly an elite runner and it’s a fag carrying a bottle about). I’m really having to ration myself with the 300ml bottle I bought a couple of months ago when running 15miles, so I'm hoping the larger size will seem me through to my longest training run in a couple of weeks time.


Timex MARATHON watch Black/Lime TW5K94800
Amazon, £22.74
I abandoned my Garmin some time ago – it takes an absolute age to acquire the satellite link, which delays the start of a run to such an extent I found I was actually putting off going out. Besides which, I've quite enjoyed just pulling on my shoes and heading out the door, listening to my breathing and what my body has been telling me about my performance. But for the marathon training I have needed a little more feedback, and have started to take my phone out with a GPS app – it seems very battery hungry though, and I'm not sure it'll make the longer runs without an additional power pack. Besides which, it's tucked away into my running belt, which isn't exactly accessible on the go. I'm hoping this no-frills digital stopwatch will be all I need – it has a large, legible digits that I should be able to read through tears of pain while waving my arm about weakly. No memory for stats or even single run lap times (it does have a lap function but there's no way to recall lap intervals once you've cleared them), no GPS, no picking it up for a run and realising you didn't put it on charge, and no faffing about waiting for a connection. It should be all I need.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment